Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Mommy I am scared-

Those were the words from my son's mouth as we headed in to his BIG new school-

I picked him up early from summercamp to go meet his teacher (again do not get me on the soap box about having things in the evening for us working folks)

So we are driving there and he falls asleep- good he will not be grumpy when we go-he wasn't-

but we get out of the car his eyes well up and he begins to cry- I asked what was wrong it is so big and there are lots of people here. I said I know - I know you are scared and it is okay- we will work together on this-

So we go in we- see the cafeteria - he puts his handprint on the wall- I pay for a spirit shirt and to join the PTA-I get his lunches paid for- We go to find his classroom- we meet his teacher- very nice - very nice- she asked some questions- The director of Marcus current school went with us- what a help she was- Thanks Sonya- She was able to tell the teacher what works at school and give her some pointers. One thing the teacher said to me was to relax- wow have I heard that before- I guess I am just a little intense with switching schools and not know what will happen the first week.

So we are leaving and we go see the big library and we meet up with the assistant prinicpal (we met last week- her and Marcus bonded over life savers) he was excited to see her and of course asked for the life savers- We were walking out and he said I like my new school- great we are doing good now.

So we get home we both take a nap- yeah for naps- we wake up and he plays quietly in his room reading and on his computer. I went upstairs to see how he was doing and have him try some clothes on - which they are too short- this boy grows like a weed. He had a look about him- What is wrong- I am scared mommy - it is so big my new school. I said it is okay to be scared and nervous and excited all at the same time- I know it is new- we will take it one day at a time- just talk to me talk to the teacher talk about it - so for those of you who are significant in his life and he calls- you may get a phone call- to help him through this next week.

I said we can talk to Chris tomorrow cause I bet he is feeling the same way cause he is going to a new school and it is big- he smiled and then said he was tired and fell asleep

So just pray for a calm- peaceful time for him when the beginning of the week starts- pray for him to be able to talk how he is feeling.

No comments: