Saturday, January 24, 2009

Catch up from the week

and to look ahead- okay well this was an interesting week- Marcus is into stealing food- therapist relates it all back to younger days-it is a frustrating time - he took from the Garlands and had to buy it with his own money- still waiting on consequences from them-then he also took and lied at school from a teacher- what to do?? we take a step forward and then backwards we go- I am getting all the negative out to focus on the positive- so then he decides to be unsafe in the van to after school several days this week- yelling - unbelting etc- why who knows he may not even- very aggravating- let me see-I think that wraps of the negative now lets focus on positive-
- his anger has been manageable this week 6 out 0f 7 days- this is an answer to prayer - I think I can handle everything but the volatile anger moments- oh he got angry just we did some things different to help him deescalated quickly-
this is what we do- first you have to hug him from behind- either rub is arms or rock him- then you say Stop- Second- Calm yourself down- breathe in breath out- do that a couple of times- count to 10 slowly- third- focus on a happy thought - a bracelet he wears now WWJD - 4th- make a choice give him 2 options he normally chooses the better one if not we go through the steps again. this is a process usually of less then 5 minutes- compared to 30-40 minutes of screaming hollering or name calling. I have been less stressed and overwhelmed from this technique- does it always work only when you start of by hugging him- does not work if you ask him to do his 4 steps. I believe it is a comfort thing knowing you are there to hold him and help him through.

He had a good Friday- ended the week + ,

I am reading a really good book about Strong willed children-no not Dr Dobson- I am reading this going this is Marcus- oh no this is Marcus- oh here he is again- and the parents reacting the same way I do- YES I am not alone - I can not tell you how this book has wowed me- I am not a big book reader however I like it a lot-gives you ideas and steps and helps you see other ways of doing things- So far this is the best book I have read when it relates to "Marcus" . Some of the things in there - just confirms what friends have told me so that is so wowzers to me.

So what is ahead- I have a conference with PLACE to find out his outcome- I have received information from Children resources and Misty you were right not very helpful. Stuff I already have but I was given them to me- You know why is there not a childcare facility that deals with behavioral challenged children HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!! I can not be the only one who deals with this.
Wednesday I meet up with a Dr doing a program for socialization and they will evaluate him- this will be out of pocket no insurance coverage. it will last for 15 weeks- I am hoping it will help him and help me understand him. It is on Mondays from 4-5 so I will be leaving work early on those days- thank goodness for S/L and FMLA.

This is where we are next week-

1 comment:

Melissa said...

The socialization program, is this a one on one thing or a group therapy thing? Kristofer will be joining a socialization therapy group (research & learning for college students). Hoping Kris learns new ways to deal with social issues. Love ya!