Monday, January 7, 2008

Postpartum Depression..

What are you talking about - many of you are reading I am sure going whatever !

I have been meaning to write this for sometime now and now I am taking the time to write it-

Have you ever thought what adoptive mothers go through after the arrival of their child- do their hormones escalate or get depleted- does this happen to adoptive baby mothers or all mothers that adopt any age child.

Well- here is somethings that happened to me- I think it started when I brought Marcus home and probably ended around Christmas- I brought him home in July 2005- we finalized in November of 2005. Now it was not every day - this was just going on during that time period.

Honestly I was overwhelmed with emotion- I can plainly see the day I got the call- plainly see the day I met him- plainly see the day he threw the stool at me- the day I wrestled him to the ground- the day he met grannie and papaw-
I can plainly see the day of our finalization day- these were all days in the time frame mentioned above.

I was excited - I was 34 years old and I was becoming a mom- wait I was becoming a mom- I am not ready- yes I am no I am not- I am not prepared- of course I am I have watched so many kids and helped with so many kids I can do this-
I do not want to do this-I do want to do this- oh my goodness get your emotions in check woman.

Hello Aunt Lori- oh my she is becoming the aunt this time-I am the mom- wow-
my turn it is finally my turn- oh no it is finally my turn- how in the world am I going to do this alone. not alone- not even close.

The day is here- I am meeting him for the first time- I am sick to my stomach- actually as I am typing this the feeling comes back- how strange- call Lori- I was nervous - did not know what to expect-
I am in the house with my case worker- and the foster mom- Jamarcus( yes I changed his name) he comesout with his toothless grin- HI MOMMY - oh how sweet he calls his foster mom mommy- special- no he is talking to you- may day may day-- not ready for that not ready for that- we are just meeting- it all becomes so real.

The end of July comes- he comes to live with me permamently - I take 1 week off work- that was a mistake it should have been longer- I will not do that again-
okay - it is him and me for a week all by myself what to do- yeah he is finally here- oh no he is finally here.

Am I going insane - I am on a roller coaster ride of emotions- fearful why the kid was crazy with lack of social skills and obedience and discipline- oh my will I survive this- ok this too shall pass this too shall pass- God never gives us anything we can not handle - okay God but this is cutting it close-this too shall pass-

When will he be mine- when?
November 18th 2005
That is when I officially became a mom - I birthed a 4 year old weighin 45 lbs and 30+ inches long and his name Marcus John Danielson- and my figure looked pretty good- has not change much during the whole process.

I was nervous but an excited nervous at the day of signing- my family was there ( Parents, Sister, brother in law, the BEST PASTORS EVER, Adam and BRenda, Leslie and the girls, and Renee) I made it- I was there to become a mom-. oh no I am becoming a mom what am I doing- see the emotional roller coaster- then you deal with these types of emotions ...

...are you ready

a baby why not a baby- to hold and cuddle- to change diapers ( not) -
I wish I could have had him as a baby - to form that special bond that a baby has with their mother- ( we have a special bond) but I know it is not the same as a biological and their mom-
To hold him and nurture him at the most critical time inhis life- I know I can not change what happened but God sure can hold him-
What if I was there when he was younger could he have been different-

I cuddle with him now and it is so amazing- I love that time-

I was sad - I was happy- I was overjoyed - overtired- stressed beyond all measure-
was it hormonal or the fact that my life will never be the same- would I change it- not the adoption- how I did somethings you betcha-

I still get all those emotions now but not anything like he first moved in- more joyful- he makes me laugh - he makes me cry

-
Last night we had prayer night at church- AMAZING to say the least- anyway- he was so good- he did praise and worship and again at the end of worship- he had the look- what is up- Jesus died- yes he did but he is alive - remember Mary Magdalene was the first at the tomb (JBQ) oh yes. He sat so nice readin his bible- reading his club jr magazines while we prayed- GOD is going to do something mighty this year in his life- I believe it and claim it

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Girl, with all the feelings you had during and after the process of adopting him I would say you definately had "labor" pains! Those feelings I too had only it was on the way to the hospital and after I brought each of my babies home, specially the tiny twins!
With all that you have gone through and accomplished with him and with yourself you should definately pat yourself on the back! I am amazed by you! You are truely one of my "mom heroes"!
Love ya girl!