Friday, February 6, 2009

There is a hole in my sidewalk

THERE'S A HOLE IN MY SIDEWALK

Portia Nelson

I walk down the street.There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.I fall in.I am lost .... I am helpless.It isn't my fault.It takes forever to find a way out ---What happened to Marcus was not his fault- he was helpless- he did not know any better- it was taking forever to get out

I walk down the street.There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I pretend that I don't see it.I fall in again.I can't believe I am in this same place.But, it isn't my fault.It still takes a long time to get out. --- continually he was in the same situation-no one teaching him no one working with him no one loving him- no one believing in him- it is not his fault- it is taking time for him to get out

I walk down the same street.There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.I see it is there.I still fall in ... it's a habit ... but, my eyes are open.I know where I am.It is my fault.I get out immediately. ---he still sees the problem - he knows it is wrong - it is now the only way for him to deal with things - he knows he is better person then this- yet he chooses too remain the same

I walk down the same street.There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.I walk around it. ---he still sees himself as the same- he sees the hole- the bad choices - he begins to walk around and learn- he begins to realize he is loved no matter what - he begins to realize he is not alone-that he can walk-around and make a better choice

I walk down another street. ---he is seeing himself as better then ever- he makes the choices that are good- he is in control of what he is feeling- he is Healed

You know often I have heard PD say to people Michele literally saved his life- well I would saty yes I did- but you know I am not sure I believed that- and now looking back and looking ahead- I did do that- God knew I would not take this lying down-no matter how tired I got or how frustrated or how much of a struggle - I am a fighter and will fight for him- he is learning- we are learning - we are overcoming-

God was there in the wilderness, He was there at the walls of Jericho- He was there as David fought the giant- or when Daniel was in the lion's den- God was there for Noah and his family- He provided for Abraham-He was there as Peter walked on water- He was there at the wedding of Cana- Jesus was there for Lazarus when he was raised from the dead- and He is here now to see the miracle come to pass for Marcus- Yes God is our strength - God is our source of everything- God is our provider-

God will help us to overcome-

The diagnosis is changed of what Marcus suffers from - no not ADHD but PTSD -they may be the victim or a witness of physical abuse, sexual abuse, violence in the home or in the community

A child with PTSD may also re-experience the traumatic event by:
having frequent memories of the event, or in young children, play in which some or all of the trauma is repeated over and over
having upsetting and frightening dreams
acting or feeling like the experience is happening again
developing repeated physical or emotional symptoms when the child is reminded of the event


Children with PTSD may also show the following symptoms:
worry about dying at an early age
losing interest in activities
having physical symptoms such as headaches and stomachaches
showing more sudden and extreme emotional reactions
having problems falling or staying asleep
showing irritability or angry outbursts
having problems concentrating
acting younger than their age (for example, clingy or whiny behavior, thumbsucking)
showing increased alertness to the environment
repeating behavior that reminds them of the trauma

No comments: