Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Enough is enough

Usually I am pretty quiet when it comes to the news of the world- however when mental illness is involved - I need to speak out- you can agree or not this is strictly my opinion and my opinion only.
Why do people keep saying we need to be aware of mental health and look into that every time something tragic happens- blame the mental health issue the person has- stop stop stop

Blame the government for not making sources available - stop stop stop

There is help out there if the person wants it or if the person's parent wants it. but it takes time, time and energy- it is not a quick fix of medication - cause believe me I have seen the multitude of it with my son. It takes a person diligently working with the mental health care workers- it takes time.
You need to make the people helping you aware of what is going on with actions. Speak up if you have a child speak up and say this is not working we need to do something different-

I am not saying it is easy - believe me it took me time to realize wow I am so outside my league right now and can not do it alone.

You see I have a son who suffers from ADHD, slight oppositional defiant ( not so much anymore), and PTSD- yes PTSD (not fun). Well he does not suffer anymore why. I the parent was diligent in the efforts to get him help-  I seeked out the professionals and found them- I seeked out the school to help us get him evaluated. The letters I wrote up there do not define him anymore. We found the right medication, we found the right people to help.

My son wanted to get better- I wanted him to be successful and so did he. He is 11 now- we have been dealing with this since he was 5 - yes 5. It was hard- spent many of nights crying and not understanding. Spent many hours with therapists- seeking and finding.

Stop blaming the fact there is nothing out there or limited- yes it is out there I found it - we are a product of it. however it does take time, lots of prayer, lots of perseverance.

Now- we have it under control- only on 2 medications- therapy has stopped, he is on honor roll.

Seek help - it is there- and parents do not be ashamed - be your child's advocate and say something is not quite right let's evaluate him/her. You are not alone - been there and came through

No comments: