Monday, February 22, 2010

ADOPTION FACTS



OK - I know I am going to get grief from what I am about to write and yet I am still going to write it- why because I want people to see the urgency of the need of adoption in the states- I commend those who adopt either in state or out of state or international and yet I have this opinion and it is a strong one- and I can say this because I have adopted from a local agency with a child that was in the state system

Recent documentation December 2009 states that in Florida alone there were 7824 children in foster care that needed a forever home - Ladies and Gentleman this is in our backyard- almost 8000 in Florida and these are the ones we know about- this is just in Florida

Older children in Florida are not as likely to be
adopted as younger children-
In 2007, 1,339 youth in Florida aged out of foster care
without a permanent, legal family

So this statistic is from 2007- and I can bet it has increased- in fact I am sure- when adopted Marcus in 2005 there were over 200 in Hillsborough county alone ready for adoption- So if this is the case why do people go other places when our own in our back yard need homes forever homes- I understand poverty etc and wanting to help-and all that jazz- but seriously in the state of Florida almost 8000 children need homes -why -I urge you to consider adopting in our state- I know they are not babies and I know they can be troublesome- believe me I know this- I live it-but I love my little man- and he has come so far with love and consistency we have come far-
The children just need to know they are loved and have a permanent place for them to live- they need a SAFE place to live-

I know of the tragedies else where I do- but we have tragedies here as well- abuse, egelct, drug addicted, fetal alcohol syndrome-

It takes time - it takes energy -it takes patience - it takes love - it takes a support team- and yet all of it is worth it when your child makes those milestones- when they know no matter what that you love them - no matter what you are not going anywhere- no matter what they can share their feelings and concerns

Consider adopting in the states - if you want to adopt
Statistics obtained from http://www.nacac.org/



No comments: